My life verse

"Commit your way unto the Lord; trust in him and he will do this" -Psalm 37:5 NIV

Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Years of Preparation

Naomi and I were married August 1, 1964, at Salem Park Wesleyan Methodist Church, in Indianapolis, Indiana. I was planning on attending Union Bible Seminary, a small Bible school run by people that had roots with the Quakers or Friends as they are called today, in Westfield, Indiana. Our first home was an apartment in Westfield. I went to Union Bible Seminary for 1 ½ years of their three year program. In the summer of 1966 we moved to Frankfort, Indiana, where I planned to attend Frankfort Pilgrim College. From 1966-70 I attended college in Frankfort, while I was there the school name changed to Frankfort Wesleyan Bible College. I graduated in June 1970 with an AB degree in Religion. Although both Union Bible Seminary and Frankfort Wesleyan Bible College were small schools I learned much about the Bible, theology, and the work of a minister, as well as receiving training in basic college courses. Also at Frankfort I make friendships that have lasted a lifetime. While I was in college we worked to support ourselves and pay for college. I worked in a grocery store and Naomi worked first in a factory then later in the college library.

Attending college at Frankfort Wesleyan Bible College was a leap from where I had come from. No one in my family put much value in education. My father had no more than a second grade education and could not read and write. My mother had a high school education but her narrow “spiritual” views had kept me in a very closed and legalistic environment. My parents were concerned about me attending Frankfort College. In their mind they thought I might become too “liberal” from my College education and training. Looking back on those days I have seen the providential hand of God at work getting me to Frankfort and Bible College. Although Frankfort Bible College lacked in many ways, it was what I needed for that time in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment