My life verse

"Commit your way unto the Lord; trust in him and he will do this" -Psalm 37:5 NIV

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Trusting God When The News Is Not So Good

Do you ever get some news that you wished were not true? All of us from time to time have to deal with the “not so good news.” However, as born again Christians, we deal with “not so good news” in a totally different way than the person who is not born again.

In the fall of 2003 following my annual physical it was discovered I had prostate cancer. I had been thankful over the years for exceptional good health and the news came as a shock to me. The doctors reassured me that the cancer was in its early stages and most likely surgery would take care of it. I had surgery and the pathological test confirmed that the cancer was local and I would not need any additional treatment.

Each subsequent year following the surgery my annual physical was clear. However my annual physical in December of 2008 indicated that the prostate cancer might be returning. A second blood test was taken and it was confirmed the cancer had returned. The doctor felt I needed radiation treatments, matter of fact when I visited the radiologist I was told there would be 36 daily treatments.

This second go around with prostate cancer has been more difficult to deal with. The first time things happened so quick. I was reassured from the beginning it more than likely could be taken care of gave me hope that this was just a bump in my life. The second time drove home to me that I could be dealing with something that may not go away. I knew that this was a time for my faith in God to hold me steady and keep me looking up.

As I face the beginning of radiation 36 daily radiation treatments beginning in a few days here is my thoughts:

1. God is sovereign and in control I will trust Him.
2. God does heal and if He wills to do so He will heal me.
3. God has given the medical field great tools to work with and if He chooses to heal me through
the radiation treatments I still will know my healing came from God.
4. I believe in the prayers of God’s people and that we are to share our burdens. I will ask them
to pray for my healing.
5. Christians are not exempt from the troubles of life, however we are promised grace sufficient
to deal with whatever we have to face.
6. I will accept whatever God allows me to go through with knowing His way is always best.
7. I will always believe in God no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. Darrell,
    Just read your blog from beginning through today. Thanks for sharing your journey and opening your soul to us.
    Didn't know about the cancer. You will be in our prayers.
    Appreciate you and your gracious spirit.
    May God bless you and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you. May He turn His face toward you and give you peace!

    Doug Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, I know that this is tough for you! Its something we all never want to face. You are bravery about it than I am. I LOVE YOU more than words can express and pray for you everyday. I remember the first go-round I was scared, but this go-round I was beyond scared. I put it in God's hands though. He has brought us good news from the bad and I just pray that He had His will in all of this. Your thoughts are powerful and mean alot reading them. Hang in there, and know myself among many more are praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete