My life verse

"Commit your way unto the Lord; trust in him and he will do this" -Psalm 37:5 NIV

Friday, February 20, 2009

Back to North Carolina

In January 1997 we moved back to North Carolina. I accepted the call to pastor the Bannertown Wesleyan Church in Mt. Airy, North Carolina (one of the garden spots of the world). Bannertown was a much smaller church than our previous two pastorates and that took some adjustment. We were thrilled to be back in North Carolina. I was 50 years of age now and thought maybe this would be the place where I would spend the rest of my ministry years. During our first 5 years there the ministry went well, the church nearly doubled in attendance and people were finding Christ. About the 5th year trouble began to brew, some long time church members who had fallen out with most every pastor begin to stir trouble. I did everything I could to keep things together but they were seasoned at trouble making and eventually tore the church too pieces. I tried to outlast them so they left the church. Once they left the church they took more liberty to tear things apart. I was now 58 years of age and was not sure where my ministry would go. After the experience at Bannertown prospects did not look bright.

I had resigned the church and had nowhere to go. The kids were nearly grown and they did not want to move away from North Carolina and I did not either. A few days before we were to move out of the parsonage a friend called and said I was being considered for the position of District Office Administrator to work with the newly elected North Carolina East District Wesleyan Church district superintendent. I had always had a knack for administrative stuff; planning, organizing, etc. In a day or two after my friend called the newly elected DS called and said he would like to talk with me about the position. To make a long story short, within two days I had the job.

I went to work with NC East District Wesleyan Church as District Office Administrator first of August 2004. Office is in High Point, NC., we moved there first of September 2004. I have continued to serve in that position to the present. About a year after we moved to High Point we bought a 1.2 acre lot west of town and begin plans to build a home. We moved into our new house first of January 2006. God is good. I miss pastoring very much, however I believe I am serving where God placed me. I enjoy the work and as long as God leads will continue to serve with the district.

No comments:

Post a Comment