My life verse

"Commit your way unto the Lord; trust in him and he will do this" -Psalm 37:5 NIV

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Church Without A Mission

In the last few days I have been meeting with a local church working on my field project to be certified as an Intentional Interim Minister. I asked the church to choose which focus point they wanted me to do the field project on; 1. Heritage, 2. Mission, 3. Connections, 4. Leadership, and 5. Future.
To my surprise the church choose Mission. You asked, why was I surprised? Because it appeared to me the church did not have a Mission.

I met with the Pastor and we chatted about the church and it’s ministry and mission, my fear confirmed, they have no Mission. I met with the church board to clarify in my mind why they choose Mission. The board confirmed my fears, they have no Mission. However the board did say we need to do something about getting our church moving forward. I met with the committee chosen by the board to work with me on the field project, again my fears were confirmed, they have no Mission.

I’m scratching my head trying to figure this out. How do I do a study with a church on Mission when they have no Mission?

How would you describe a church without a Mission? Leave a comment, it will help me greatly….and stay tuned for more, I will let you know how this goes.

2 comments:

  1. Uhm, I thought we all had a mission. The Great Co-Mission. You can say it a number of different ways, but doesn't it all come down to making disciples in the name of the Lord Jesus? How can a church not realize that's their basic mission?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every church is established with a mission. Also every church will drift from their mission without keeping a clear focus beyond just to exist. I suggest that every pastor needs a coach. Even one of the greatest golfer in the world - Tiger Woods - has a coach. Any church needing to refocus should conider this comment.

    ReplyDelete